I plant my flag. I sit by the warm fire. I see the road traveled so far,fruitful, full of joy and with lovely characters along the way.

Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Potatoes with fresh herbs - Two Fat Ladies

I would be surprised if the name Two Fat Ladies do not bring back memories. I used to watch their television show when I was younger (1996 - 1999). For those who are not familiar with them: Two Fat Ladies was a British television cooking programme starring Clarissa Dickson Wright and Jennifer Paterson. These ladies traveled around the UK with a motorbike and a sidecar. Both not the thinnest among us, it was a wonderful sight. They did not care about fat and calories. They smoked heavily at the time and drank alcohol at the end of each episode. Some of their recipes were criticized by British journalists who considered them a bad influence on the diet because of their use of butter and fat in their recipes. I loved watching their show because of that!

Unfortunately Jennifer Paterson died shortly after she was diagnosed with lung cancer. On Wikipedia I found this fact: "The day before she died, she asked Clarissa to take her a tin of caviar but when Dickson Wright arrived at the hospital, Paterson had died. Clarissa said that after Jennifer's funeral, she ate the caviar as a tribute."

I tried their Potatoes with fresh herbs recipe which I found on the internet last week. You would need 4-6 potatoes for 4 people. Also 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (my favorite), 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or rosemary, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, 4 cloves garlic, 2-3 tablespoons olive oil (the good stuff) and 1/3 cup chicken stock. No butter, fat, salt added, well done Ladies!

Thinly slice the potatoes and put slices in a large bowl of cool water. Set aside. Mix the chopped garlic and chopped herbs. Pat dry potatoes and drizzle a bit of the olive oil in a baking dish, just large enough to hold ingredients. Make a layer of potatoes, sprinkle with a bit of the herb/garlic mixture and drizzle with a little oil. Repeat 4 more times before you pour the stock all over it. In total 60 minutes in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius until the top potatoes start to brown and get crisp.

I loved the taste! We ate the potatoes with beetroot salad and chicken cordon bleu (chicken breast filled with smoked chicken and cheese, coated in a crispy ciabatta crumb). So nice!! Recommended!

Warm Regards,

Abigail Summer

Ps. Thanks Alan for your comment, keeps me going :)

No comments: